Information provided to the Metropolitan Police Service by users through the use of this website will be treated in confidence and will not be disclosed to third parties unless we are required to do so by law.
We gather information about site usage in order to assist in the development and improvement of service to the public. At the moment this information consists of:
- Statistical information obtained using Google Analytics - No information collected can be used to identify individual users. For more details about how this affects your privacy please visit the Google Analytics Privacy Centre. If you do not wish to send information to Google Analytics, an Opt-out Browser Add-on is also available, or you can configure your browser to enable you to choose which, if any, cookies are allowed to be created.
- Summary data provided by our ISP - which is derived from server logs using the software package 'Analog'. We do not receive the server logs themselves nor any related data that could identify individual users.
- Information provided voluntarily by users through online feedback forms - Feedback data cannot be identified with an individual unless they voluntarily supply their name or other identifying details. Comments and identifying information will only be held for as long as is necessary to ensure a proper response to queries and suggestions from users. Data held for long-term analysis is separated from comments so that it does not contain anything to identify individuals.
We do not attempt to monitor the browsing behaviour of individual users through any hidden means.
- Google Analytics - This cookie helps us accurately estimate the number of visitors to the website and helps us have a better understanding of how our customers use our website. We ask for user consent to set this cookie in your browser.
- Content personalisation - Cookies are used on personalised sections of the website. This feature allows you to to enhance your experience by adding borough or team news, appeals, events and contact information to the main homepage. If user consent is not given this feature will not work.
- Session management - Short term cookies are used to maintain your session when using interactive parts of the website. These cookies are not used for tracking or identification purposes.
In certain cases we may use ‘remarketing’ services to target our ads to you based on your prior use of our site when you visit other sites included within an online advertising network.
If you do not wish to be tracked in this way, you can opt out via the following:
The cookies we use will be sent to your browser and then stored in the cookies directory on your computer. To find out how to reject, delete or update your cookie preferences in your browser you need to know what browser you use and what version of it you have. Most browsers have guidelines on how to adjust cookie settings, use the 'Help' menu to find out this information.
You can learn more about managing cookies at the AboutCookies website.